web analytics
Mortar on dome and curing - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Mortar on dome and curing

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortar on dome and curing

If I understand the instructions for installation, we:

1. grout the joints in the dome;

2. put a 1" thick layer of mortar all over the dome;

3. lay the insulation blanket over the mortar;

4. finally, either layer more mortar over the blanket, or fill the space with perlite or vermiculite.

Assuming that all this is correct, at what point does the curing take place? Can I just grout the joints, wait till the grout dries, then cure the oven (before adding the layer of mortar for insulation? Or, do I have to apply the mortar, wait a week, then start the curing process?

Re: Mortar on dome and curing

I'm wondering this question myself.

can I start curing the dome BEFORE adding the insulation/stucco etc?

is there some advantage to one approach over another?

FB support... pls chime in.

Re: Mortar on dome and curing

You would only mortar the joints of the oven, once you mortar the joints and it dries you would lay the insulation blankets, from there would would use a metal lathe/ or chicken wire to hold the blankets down and help form the shape of your oven. At this point it is up to you to decided how you plan on finishing off the oven. People sometimes stucco, paint, glaze and seal, other's are building a housing around the oven so they fill that space with vermiculite, or they may apply stucco then tile their ovens. There are may options.

We recommend that you complete your oven before you start curing it.