web analytics
is 2" enough thermal mass? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

is 2" enough thermal mass?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is 2" enough thermal mass?

Hello

The fire-bricks I am using to build the hearth and dome are quite unusual in shape. They measure 9" x 7.5" x 2". They come from night-storage heaters and a cost effective alternative here in the UK. I've been collecting them for over a year so far and they haven't cost me a penny I have plenty, and could build the dome using the 2" side on the internal face of the dome. Yes, that will mean a lot of cutting and many layers, so I wanna avoid that.

My question is: if I use the bricks in such a way that I have a 2" thickness to the walls and hearth. Will that be enough thermal mass to keep the oven hot?

I appreciate the oven will heat up quicker if it's thinner. But I'm not really concerned if I need to leave the fire roaring for longer. I can easily add more thermal mass by rendering the dome. The hearth will be different and I'll need to think that one out

Thanks in advance

Mick

Re: is 2" enough thermal mass?

My dome is two and a quarter inches thick, with no outside rendering, and it works fine.

It's a lot of work to build one that thin, and it's not as strong as a thicker dome, but I don't think it's inherently too thin. After all, that's how thick all the modular ovens are.

I don't think, from experience, that there is any real heat-up time advantage to a thinner oven.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

4 or 5 inches is more typical. Do you have enough for two layers ?

Comment

If I cut the bricks and use the narrow side (2") on the inner edge I still have enough bricks. That will give me about 4" thickness to the dome. It's gonna take a load more layers/rows and more cutting . But there's no rush

Comment

Working...
        X