web analytics
Refmix mortar - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Refmix mortar

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refmix mortar

1. I cannot easily obtain fireclay. Any recommendations instead of the sand-fireclay mixture for the underfloor paste? I was going to use either plan sand or a thin layer of Refmix mortar.

2. Any objections with using Refmix mortar in construction of the vent, chimney, and openning arch?

Re: Refmix mortar

Hey Jeff,

Refmix will be perfect for the vent, chimney and opening arch. That area gets hot, so using a high temperature mortar is the right thing to do. Plus, it has a nice, fine grey finish, so it will look nice.

I don't think you need to go to the trouble or expense of mortaring down your floor bricks. If you can't find fireclay, you can use a bed of fine sand and tap your floor bricks into place with a rubber mallet.

Would other builders agree with that?
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

I also found that by time i cut all my bricks in half, i had more than enough dust/sand for underneath the hearth. i still have a bag left over. But it would be a long drive from Calgary to deliver it to you )

Any idea where you can get refmix or a good refractory cement in calgary?

i bought most of my masonry supplies, including Heatstop 50, from

Alomar Building Products
          7107 Fairmount Drive Southeast, Calgary, AB T2H 0X6 (403) 291-4740

they are not very good at answering the phone or taking messages, but extremely helpful when i dropped by.

Thanks Philip. They were helpful.

Good luck with the build. i bought some fabulous stone for the oven opening from Alomar too.