web analytics
Oven Floor and Vent Layout - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Oven Floor and Vent Layout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Floor and Vent Layout

Apologies in advance but I have looked through many threads to avoid asking these questions:

1.) My insulating layer came out rather "rough" definitely oatmeal, dried oatmeal that is. Rather like a kitchen sponge! I assume this means I need lay a thick enough layer of the fireclay and sand mix to fill in all the uneveness and bed the oven floor bricks properly? Or need I skim and thin layer of mortar to "seal" the insulating layer and then lay the clay and sand mixture atop it?

2.) I am building a 36 inch round oven, should the oven vent be located tangent to the inside diameter of the oven (36 inches) or outside (45 inches). Is there a difference?

3.) If my soldier bricks are positioned along the perimeter of the oven floor should they be mortared to the base/hearth or will they be mortared just to eachother side to side and just sit on the sand and fireclay mixture?

Thanks in advance for your answers I will post photos soon.

David

Re: Oven Floor and Vent Layout

1) A thin weak refractory mortar layer to level the top to place the fire bricks on is all you need. I used a week 1:5 mortar to sand mix for this.

2) If you can get it tangent at the 36 inch diameter that is fine - usually the inside edge will be back an inch or so to accommodate the angle iron or whatever you are using to support the vent. I tried to keep the entryway depth down to facilitate access to the oven.

3) Either/or. There are two schools of thought on this. My soldier course sat on the hearth bricks and I mortared this joint.

Comment

Working...
    X