web analytics
Fondue and vermiculite dome! - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Fondue and vermiculite dome!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fondue and vermiculite dome!

Hello everybody,
    I would like to commend you on a great forum, i've been sculking around for a while i finally decided to join you all as i'm in the middle of an oven build, and desperately need some advice.
    I've just had my wages cut due to...........need i say! and money is tight to finish my oven, i originally wanted to use firebricks on the inner dome and a rendered exterior, but the cheapest brick i've found are 1.12 each( i need 300) then theres the thermal blanket and fondue and vermiculite etc.
    The thing is, yesterday i was chatting with my nearest refractory supplier and he suggested casting a 4" fondue/vermiculite dome over a sand shaped mould and once its dry dig out the sand and hey presto a heat resistant and insulated oven.............................................. .................................................. .......Will this work?

yours Chicko

Re: Fondue and vermiculite dome!

No. The inner dome needs to be very dense, so don't use vermiculite here, it will reduce the density and strength of the inner dome. Use the vermiculite outside the dome and under the floor, but don't waste your money on mixing fondue with it, you only need enough portland cement (10%) to make it stick together.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

What is fondu?
      This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

he suggested casting a 4" fondue/vermiculite dome over a sand shaped mould
        This can't work. Insulating concrete won't retain enough heat to do any cooking.
        Just as an oven won't work without insulation, it won't work without thermal mass inside.
        What is fondu?
        A type of refractory material found in other English speaking countries. No need to worry about it unless you're shopping for materials in Canada.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the advice lads, i'll just have to wait and save then. I'll upload some pics of my work so far, in a while.

Chicken

Comment

Working...
          X