web analytics
Patio and Oven excavation - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Patio and Oven excavation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio and Oven excavation

Hello All,

First post, frequent reader.

I'm moving to a new home soon (Tallahassee, Florida), and when I get there we're building a patio and eventually, a 36 inch oven. For the patio, I'm going to dig down 6-8 inches, fill with base material, tamp every 2 inches with a plate compactor, and cap with pavers that my wife picks. Can I set an oven on top of that, or do I need to make a hole for some concrete?

Is 6-8 inches of tamped rock, fill, and sand, capped by pavers solid enough to support the weight of a small oven? We live in Florida, so hard freezes are a rarity, and that depth is below our frost line. I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer.

Thanks,
    Stan

Re: Patio and Oven excavation

"Can I set an oven on top of that, or do I need to make a hole for some concrete?"

You are probably OK, but I would plan for some settlement. The pavers might then crack. I would pour a footing at least the width of the wall and fit the pavers against the footing/wall.

Comment

Do you mean a footing along the stand walls? If so, should I go the full depth, or should I place it on top of my compacted sand?

Thanks,
      Stan

Comment

On top of the compacted sand should do it. Make the footings about 4 inches thick and add a double course of 3/8 rebar.

Comment

Working...
        X