web analytics
did i use the wrong mix - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

did i use the wrong mix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did i use the wrong mix

First, thanks for this forum -

I downloaded the Pompeii instructions several months ago and started construction on a 1200 sqft fieldstone patio with oven last week.

I poured the base last week for the Stone House oven and now realize that I may have used the wrong mix. I didn't use vermiculite - just regular concrete - is this a total screw up?? I plan on using the fireplace a lot - will it be okay to just use the firebricks on top of the reg. concrete??

Re: did i use the wrong mix

Hi Mini,

Welcome aboard! I moved this to Getting Started. You should get more help here.

The hearth under the wood oven has two layers. A concrete slab, that holds everything up, and on top of that, a layer of either vermiculite or FB Board insulation. The oven floor rests on top of that.

If you follow the plans, I think you should be OK.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Don't put the firebrick directly on regular concrete. You need some form of insulation, or you will lose all of your heat, resulting in a cold floor.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Insulate! Insulate! Insulate!
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Whew -

Thanks alot...

Mini