web analytics
slope of hearth - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

slope of hearth

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slope of hearth

Another wierd thing my mason did was build a slight slope to the rear left corner of the dome. He did this because he said it was a traditional addition he learned from watching other ovens built. He said the reason is really for final fire placement. It allows for the ashe and firewood to stay in one place while fireing and cooking. I know there are tools for this now and various guards. Again I questioned this and he just told me to trust him.

Do you have photos? I haven't heard that one, but I'm sure it will work. As they say, it isn't rocket science. Still, I would recommend a symmetrical dome -- if nothing else, you can put the fire on either side.

Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Ill see if I can get one. The dome will still be symetric. He just might have to cut a tiny bit of brick in the front sid of the dome so that it levels itself out from the slope. The opening is between 19 and 20" or I can soldier 2 more bricks and bring the opening in and make it 16". What do you think?
      Im still a little concerned that he opted to use the portland cement mix for mortaring the joints on the hearth floor. I have not seen too many ovens built that way because of the thermal expansion.

Originally posted by stevenki
        Im still a little concerned that he opted to use the portland cement mix for mortaring the joints on the hearth floor.
        i wouldn't worry about that. the worst that can happen is that you'll end up with some cracks which will get filled in by ashes. no big deal.
        my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens

I think the 19" opening should be OK, as long as the oven size is relatively large (it's the proporation that matters). Our Casa100 has a 39" floor and an 18.5" opening. Some people enjoy having the larger opening for getting food in and out more easily, and the oven should still hold heat well.

I am guessing the portland-based mortar will crack and start to come out over time, but as Robert says, it will fill up with ash and should be OK. If the gaps are large enough to be a hassle, you could use the oven until the mortar starts to come out naturally, then scrape out enough that you can add a real refractory mortar, which will last longer.

Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces