web analytics
Vermiculite vs. Perlite vs. blend - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Vermiculite vs. Perlite vs. blend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermiculite vs. Perlite vs. blend

Is there any difference between vermiculite and perlite?

I have seen several ovens with a vermicrete hearth insulation layer but perlite+concrete dome insulation. Is this for a reason?

Some ovens even use a blend (mostly 2:1) of vermiculite : perlite in their insulation layers.

I'm confused! All information / recommendations appreciate for an ingloo-style pompei brick oven.

Re: Vermiculite vs. Perlite vs. blend

They both work fine. They are different colors and textures (vermiculite is brown cubes, perlite is white spheres) I used the perlite, and it's a little easier to see when it's fully mixed in, because the white turns grey, but it's mostly a factor of what's available and affordable.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I used it under my hearth just fine 5.5 inches and over the dome as well. By blending the portland in the water I was able to mix in a lot of perlite.
      Last edited by Xabia Jim; 01-16-2009, 12:08 AM.
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Perlite is a slightly better insulator than vermiculite, but is also slightly more expensive (at least it is where I live) I prefer the vermiculite to work with because perlite seems to have some really fine particles that are irritating if you breathe them, the vermiculite doesn't seem to have this problem. I guess these materials vary a bit from place to place.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I used perlite (couldn't find vermiculite).

I believe I used 5 parts perlite to 1 part portland. Tip - mix the portland and perlite (or vermiculite) first THEN add the water.

My 2 cents.

Dick

Comment

Bit of a noob question probably, but searching hasn't revealed the answer.
            When measuring the ratios, is it by volume?
            ie, 5 buckets of Verm + 1 bucket of Cement, and add water?
            This seems like a lot of cement, as 1 bucket will be ~25kg or an entire bag of cement?

I'm nearly finished my dome, and will be thinking about the outer insulation soon.

Comment

By volume

Les...
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                I prefer the vermiculite to work with because perlite seems to have some really fine particles that are irritating if you breathe them, the vermiculite doesn't seem to have this problem.
                I completely agree.

Stick with Verm if there is a choice.

Perlite also flies into the eyes.
                My thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                My costs:
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                My pics:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                X