web analytics
Sourcing the bricks - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Sourcing the bricks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourcing the bricks

Hi there,

I'm in the planning stages of building an outdoor kitchen, including a woodfired oven. In trying to keep the costs down, I have a couple of questions for the educated users here.

1. Over here in Australia, especially in victoria, and the part of the state I'm from, we have a vast history of coal fired power stations. In the area I'm from, we have about 3 power stations. A couple of years back, I managed to get hold of a hell load of old bricks, stamped with the SEC (state electricity commission) logo. They appear to be full bricks (so there is no holes in them or anything), and are deep red in color. Not being a brick expert, I'm wondering if you could guess as to whether these bricks would be able to withstand the heat of a woodfired oven. The next part to this question is, through renovations of our home, we knocked down the old fireplace and chimney - and still have the bricks from this. I'm wondering if those would also be suitable.

My next question will be quite a bit shorter.

2. We have a lot of paving tiles that we lifted from an outdoor area that is now a patio. They are about 6x6 or 8x8 (haven't actually measured them) inches in width, and about 2 inches thick. Would these tiles withstand the weight of a good oven? I'd like to save the effort of pouring a slab.

Cheers guys, and thanks for any reply,
    Michael.
    Last edited by cleefy; 10-02-2008, 08:10 AM. Reason: Needed to add a sentence

Re: Sourcing the bricks

Hi Michael
    We also have approx 100 yr old chimney bricks that we were hoping to use on our oven. They are solid and a reddish orange colour. Would be very interested in any responses you get Michael . A thought we had was to use new fire bricks for the floor and the old chimney bricks for the walls. If anyones got any ideas, would love to hear them also.
    Good luck Michael with your ventures....
    Lee
    Cheers Lee

Comment

Cleefy, beware of using bricks ex chimney stacks, who knows what nastys have contaminated them. Flourocarbons? Sulphers? Metals? Check your PM's

Comment

I used to work in a Copper Smelter and thought about getting bricks from them. After a quick analytical session (I am a Chemical Engineer), the bricks were typically high in heavy metals - especially chrome (a normal component of high temp bricks.) Existance of Sulphates and other nastys are probably not there due to temps (firebox). Though others may be - just depends on where they were used (fire box vs chimney) etc.

Confused? Stay away from the used bricks and go with virgins!

CW
        Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Working...
        X