web analytics
Best insulator for the dome - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Best insulator for the dome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best insulator for the dome

I am about to insulate my dome with 4+ inches of ceramic blanket and a top coat of 1 inch or so of perlite mix. I also have about 1.5 squate meters of 1 inch ceramic board left over from the base insulation and wondered if I could incorporate this into the insulation at the top of the dome.

I wondered if there would be a benefit in using this spare insulation, and if i should place it before the ceramic blanket ect. ect. ect.

I thought that the ceramic board was a better insulator than the blanket, but I am not sure if it would be a good idea to incorporate it into the dome insulation.

Brad

Re: Best insulator for the dome

Brad,

You might want to hang on to the board. You can make a nice insulated door out of it.

4+ inches of blanket & a few inches of perlite will do great.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Re: Best insulator for the dome

Agreed. The board is typically used under the cooking floor, and really won't add anything to the dome.

4" of good quality ceramic blanket (plus a little perlite or vermiculite to fill any corners -- if you have it) will do a great job.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
      X