web analytics
7.25 inch tile saw - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

7.25 inch tile saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.25 inch tile saw

Guys,

Just checking to see if wet tile saws are good enough to cut the fire bricks, the tile saws are a reasonable price here in australia so was wondering if anyone has experience with fire bricks and wet tile saws.

Do these saws cut all the way throught the bricks ? or do they need to be finished off with a bolster.

Thanks
    Iman

Re: 7.25 inch tile saw

If its a diamond blade should be OK, just let the hose trickle on it whilst cutting.

Comment

If it's the one that looks like a little table saw, where the blade runs in water underneath, there's a problem with these. The saw throws mud up in your face where you're cutting. You have to wash your goggles after every cut.

Your one-cut question is simple enough to answer - hold a brick up to the blade. For a lot of the oven, a score and break approach is good enough, and for fancy cuts, you can do a lot of them with multiple cuts.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I was cutting bricks in backward direction - I've turned the sow on 180 degrees and was moving bricks to me, had a little mud problems.

Comment

I used one of these for my dome.
          I turned the saw too to avoid the mud. I had to make two cuts to get through a brick and still have to break the brick. It was not ideal for compound cuts and in the top rings I had to use my angle grinder quite a bit...very dusty...

I would buy a bigger saw if I was doing it again.
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by dvonk View Post
            I was cutting bricks in backward direction - I've turned the saw on 180 degrees and was moving bricks to me, had a little mud problems.
            Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
            I turned the saw too to avoid the mud.
            How come I'm not that smart? What a good idea. I built my first rumford fireplace in a cascade of brick slurry for no reason!
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I have used a tile saw (wet with a little tray under etc) to cut the fire brick with no problem and little mess. I have yet to try it on any thing not straight forward. The cut goes all but a 1/2 or less through the brick, and with a little tap the two parts fall apart. It recycles the water and if I replace it every once in a while, the water doesn't get so muddy.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses I am going to see what the costs are for hiring a wet saw again but last I checked it was pretty expensive and they charged for how much of the saw blade that was used.

Imran

Comment

Working...
                X