web analytics
Dry stacked vs. Mortar - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Dry stacked vs. Mortar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry stacked vs. Mortar

What is the benefit of dry stacking the blocks for the stand as opposed to mortaring them?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: Dry stacked vs. Mortar

I think it's just an easier construction methos and you still have the foundation strength needed with the filled cores....

anyone used single sized blocks in a rounded pattern?
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

The whole pompeii oven project is designed for people who never mixed mortar before. Stacking blocks and filling is something anyone can do - If you don't like how it looks, or something isn't level, you can go back and restack them before you fill the cores. Mortaring cement blocks is a difficult thing to do. You are basically setting up a thin rim of mortar on the edges of the hollow block, unlike a brick, where you are covering the whole flat surface. I built my whole internal chimney with mortared four inch blocks, as well as my internal oven base. It's not much to look at, and now I am covering it with tile. I'm frankly in awe at a mason who can lay up a wall of blocks with smooth even mortar joints. It's a commonplace thing, but it's not easy to do.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I need to build a block foundation, which will be underground. Since I've never laid mortar before, what are the chances I will be able to come out level on top. I am not concerned about the appearance (I'll bury it all in the end), but it needs to be level. What is the concern about dry stacking block for a below grade foundation? Does it allow too much water to seep in?
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
        X