web analytics
Using ventilation insulation for the dome - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Using ventilation insulation for the dome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using ventilation insulation for the dome

What about this thing: http://www.szigetelesaruhaz.hu/pic/t...t-paplanok.png

It has a layer of aluminum foil, is that a good or bad idea to use? Some say bad because it would trap moisture inside, but when it (the oven) reaches +100c it (the moisture) will find its way out, won't it?

Would regular fibreglass from the 1960's do if it's placed directly on the dome? Or will it melt?

This coming weekend is bricklaying weekend. Will make sure to post some fabulous pictures!
    Let's keep it metric

Re: Using ventilation insulation for the dome

Is that insulation rated to take the required temperature? I've found foil tends to trap moisture. The steam condenses on the cooler foil and then runs down to the base leaving water at the bottom of your dome. If the foil is perforated it is slightly better but steam will still condense against it.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Oh yes condensation running down the sides must be avoided as I'm in the north and will be cooking during winter, I hope.
      Any input on using stucco up here, haven't received any good response in other threads. Is it unthinkable in below 0c climate? Or is it just a rumour?
      Let's keep it metric

Comment

Many oven owners still operate their ovens in freezing conditions, I have seen more than one pic of an oven covered in snow, but still operating. The trick is to fire your oven regularly so it stays nice and dry internally.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Proper insulation makes any oven efficient. Pizza can be best operated at temperature higher than 750 F and exterior temperature should be cooler. There is problem of moisture with aluminum foil.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/ventisaustralia
          Last edited by aidenmuramats; 07-11-2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X