web analytics
Tandoor oven help - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Tandoor oven help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tandoor oven help

Hi I am try to build a tandoor oven wit a pot clay but so far I got 2 broken pots and no oven , each cost me over 20 so no good
    I not sure if I need to do something different or te pot was wet ... No sure
    I fallow the instruction of one fellow and he just fire it with wood ... No problem but when I did with me it just pop In few cracks and affect few seconds it was really broken
    Now my question is anyone has been done the oven with good results
    Do I need a special care when fire it ???
    Was my pot just a dry clay not cooked clay ???
    Or ............?.??
    Any help will be appreciated
    gonzalo ( Fom UK)

Re: Tandoor oven help

You don't say how you built it or provide any photos, but my guess is that you did not insulate the clay pot. If you start firing an uninsulated pot then the inside gets really hot and wants to expand while the outside remains cool. This creates stress on the clay walls and cracking is the result. If you did insulate the clay pot then the cracking is caused because the clay has poor thermal shock characteristics. The clay pot was not designed for this purpose, try another type. Is the pot glazed or unglazed? Unglazed would be my preference.
    Last edited by david s; 02-09-2014, 01:38 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Hi David yes I did insulated it with vermiculite and yes it was unglazed
      I dit several pizza oven in the pass with a great result but I wanted to do as I seen on Jamey Oliver TV program
      I took a metal been put about 5 cm of Sand and them a fire brick as base, them I Chopin half a few firebrick to put around the base wall so the pot seat on top and the vermiculite in between the pot and the can

Havea look here https://www.facebook.com/gonzalo.fer...4587474&type=3

I haven't attempted a "tandoor", but this type oven keeps popping up on several sites that I frequent. They are interesting. I'm just wondering if the intire interior could be built out of fire brick. Say, maybe 2" thick plus insulation and a face brick or adobe rendor outside .
          Last edited by Gulf; 02-09-2014, 05:26 PM.
          joe watson

"A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

My Build
          My Picasa Web Album

Hi yes is possible and probably. More efficient bu also really heavy
            My idea was o made a portable oven bu wih he interior made from firebricks will be really heavy

I did not catch the portable part .
              joe watson

"A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

My Build
              My Picasa Web Album