web analytics
What insulation is best? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.


To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

What insulation is best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What insulation is best?

    My partner and myself are currently in an engineering class and we are trying to develop an outdoor portable fire pit that will limit injuries often obtained from open fires. Our development has come to a halt because we ran into the issue about what type of insulation we should use and also how thick it would need to be in order to keep the outside layer of the fire pit cool (or at least so it couldn't burn you).

    We currently were thinking about doing some form of ceramic wall or floor tile due to the fact that it is cheap and has a high melting point. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could tell us if they think that ceramic tiles are a good idea and how thick they think they would need to be in order to keep the outside of the fire pit at a safe temperature.

    Thank you very much for you time!
    - John Gray

  • #2
    Re: What insulation is best?

    Originally posted by BlazeBusters View Post
    My partner and myself are currently in an engineering class and we are trying to develop an outdoor portable fire pit that will limit injuries often obtained from open fires.
    Too bad you can't offer common sense with your sales package....that is the best way to avoid injury.


    Originally posted by BlazeBusters View Post
    Our development has come to a halt because we ran into the issue about what type of insulation we should use and also how thick it would need to be in order to keep the outside layer of the fire pit cool (or at least so it couldn't burn you).
    How thick is the desired final dimension? At any rate, most of the heat is not contained in a fire pit, so minimal insulation is needed.

    Originally posted by BlazeBusters View Post
    We currently were thinking about doing some form of ceramic wall or floor tile due to the fact that it is cheap and has a high melting point. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could tell us if they think that ceramic tiles are a good idea and how thick they think they would need to be in order to keep the outside of the fire pit at a safe temperature.
    If the tile isn't a refractory product, it will not hold up to continuous thermal cycling. Melting point doesn't help you here as much as the materials ability to withstand rapid heat up and cool down(thermal shock). Your best best is a low duty firebrick (full or splits) or a refractory product with low conductivity. The higher the conductivity of your product, the thicker your insulation should be.

    Remember that cheap can be twice as expensive if your products fail.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 12-09-2013, 09:41 AM.
    Old World Stone & Garden

    Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

    When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

    Comment

    Working...
    X