web analytics
Refractory cast from a 2-use form? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Refractory cast from a 2-use form?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory cast from a 2-use form?

I was scheming to go with brick for my second oven, but now I hear my mother wants a pizza oven now too, so I'm compelled to think about building two ovens in my future. So instead I'm wondering if I should go with a refractory cast oven, where I get at least 2 uses out of the form. I see a lot of folks in here build single-use forms, and I would assume industrially they're casting from a very-reusable form, but what about something in between?

After looking through a lot of people's builds, and doing the math, I am still thinking about sticking with bricks. Say, for a 48" oven, I may be looking at upwards of 300 bricks. If I can do a brick a minute then that's 5 hours. There's certainly a lot of prep work involved in getting all those angles and everything else, but I wonder if I can really get a mold for two uses that would save me time beyond that. Is there anything I should keep in mind to consider casting to make two identical ovens instead?

Re: Refractory cast from a 2-use form?

It is a lot of work making a mould that will survive two castings. If you take into consideration the time spent in building it you won't be very far in front. Using a sand mould for each build is a far simpler solution in terms of time. IMO if you want to build ten ovens then perhaps a mould that can be reused will become economical. You may come up with a workable solution though, so keep planning.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocko Bonaparte View Post
      I was scheming to go with brick for my second oven, but now I hear my mother wants a pizza oven now too, so I'm compelled to think about building two ovens in my future. So instead I'm wondering if I should go with a refractory cast oven, where I get at least 2 uses out of the form. I see a lot of folks in here build single-use forms, and I would assume industrially they're casting from a very-reusable form, but what about something in between?

After looking through a lot of people's builds, and doing the math, I am still thinking about sticking with bricks. Say, for a 48" oven, I may be looking at upwards of 300 bricks. If I can do a brick a minute then that's 5 hours. There's certainly a lot of prep work involved in getting all those angles and everything else, but I wonder if I can really get a mold for two uses that would save me time beyond that. Is there anything I should keep in mind to consider casting to make two identical ovens instead?
      Good luck with a brick a minute the last 9 took me 10 hours

Comment

Generally how long did it take you to lay bricks? It's looking like it would still be faster to do bricks, but I should at least get a better impression. I'll admit I forgot particularly about the keystone on top.

Comment

I used tapered bricks and cut them on the sides to obtain a 3 mm joint both ways it took me a day a course
          My approach is most likely over fussy but I would be surprised if you can do better then a course a day even using square cut bricks

Comment

Working...
          X