web analytics
Custom Baking Stone - Material Question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Custom Baking Stone - Material Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Baking Stone - Material Question

Hello -
    I am looking for some opinions/info on the following. (Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I could not find clear answers when I searched)

I am looking to fabricate a custom size and unique shape baking stone. Will be used in the "gas grill pizza oven conversion" I am going to attempt.

I want to make the baking stone myself (Cast It) to achieve the shape and size I want....and to be honest, I just think it will be fun to try.

Few specific questions:
    1.) Are traditional baking stones (like you would buy at the store, and put in a standard oven) made of refractory material? Would making it out of refractory material defeat the purpose of achieving temp quickly and holding temp?

2.) Could I fabricate out of refractory mortar? like I would get at Home Depot? Or is there something else I should use? I want to make it simple as possible.

3.) Any suggestions about casting something like this? I was going to make a wood mold, rub wax on the wood, pour in the cement or mortar, and let dry.

Thanks for the time!
    Dave
Working...
X