web analytics
Is Cladding necessary? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

I'm Peter Reinhart! Ask Me Anything! Monday, February 15, 2016 7:00-8:00 pm EST

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

Ask Me Anything New Forum Feature

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Is Cladding necessary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Cladding necessary?

I'm curious if cladding is a necessary element of barrel vault ovens? If you're not going to build housing around the oven, could you instead just get away with several layers of ceramic blanket?

Re: Is Cladding necessary?

Originally posted by filmost View Post
    I'm curious if cladding is a necessary element of barrel vault ovens? If you're not going to build housing around the oven, could you instead just get away with several layers of ceramic blanket?
    The problem with barrels is the sideways thrust of the roof on the walls, you need to counter this with some apposing thrust, some use concrete but end up with too much thermal mass.

I used the weight of the brick chimney to counter the sideways thrust on mine.

Blanket alone wont cut it.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You probably allready understand it, but the cladding is for constructional purposes and the blankets are for insulation. It will depend on your design if you need cladding. Some people use steel reinforcements for instance. I can even imagine that you can build a barrel that is self supporting (if you are not using a first row that stands up right).

I suggest you post a picture of what you have in mind wich will make it easier for people to give you a very exact answer.

Greetings

Comment

It's necessary on the walls (not the vault roof) for structural soundness as brickie says.

having said that - you don't HAVE to use concrete as the structural support.
        ...you could use something like insulating firebricks for example.

or

you could use 25mm of fibre-board insulation against the walls, and then pour your concrete support...
        -------------------------------------------
        My 2nd Build:
        Is here

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. Sorry I disappeared from the forums for awhile. Definitely understand the idea behind cladding now, thanks!

I am guessing sicne it is not necessary on the top, that I could just pour the support around the sdies and the nuse a blanket on top?

Comment

Don't forget a blanket on the sides.You need it there too.

Comment

Originally posted by nachtwacht View Post
              Don't forget a blanket on the sides.You need it there too.
              So blanket the entire thing AND add cladding to the sides?

Comment

Originally posted by filmost View Post
                So blanket the entire thing AND add cladding to the sides?
                Yes, but the other way around.

If you first put a blanket around the oven, your cladding will not give any support to the oven (since the blanket easily copacts)

First make a structural sound oven, then a blanket around it.

Comment

Originally posted by nachtwacht View Post
                  Yes, but the other way around.

If you first put a blanket around the oven, your cladding will not give any support to the oven (since the blanket easily copacts)

First make a structural sound oven, then a blanket around it.
                  Okie doke got it!

Comment

Working...
                  X