web analytics
Insulation thickness and type - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Insulation thickness and type

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation thickness and type

I have been trying to figure out how to calculate how much insulation to use.

I am thinking that I am not really interested in heating up a few hundred pounds of bricks, so am thinking of the internal just being straight insulating fire-brick. I understand the point of the heat absorption, but would rather just have direct fire heat.

How thick would I want this?

And would I put something else after this? If you did not have the oven running for days at a time would any further insulation be necessary/economical?

the big bonus of just fire-brick insulation is the price, if I put anything else, not only do I have to pay for that, but than probably also some a layer of normal brick (or whatever to cover it and protect it form the weather). And then it is like 3 times heavier, and I need to increase the foundation.

So would 1-1.5 inches (or you tell me) of fire brick be good enough, particularly considering a couple hour use at a time would be the norm?

what are your opinions on this.
Working...
X