web analytics
Refractory cement: pre-mix or not? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

Hi Guys,

I'm building a new WFO and wondering what people think about using the pre-made refractory cement (that runs ~$50/bag) versus using regular cement and mixing in the fireclay? Is it worth investing in the more expensive pre-made stuff?

Liz )

Re: Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

It depends on how much your money is worth to you. I really wanted to use heatstop but it was way too expensive. I found another premixed refractory mortar for half the price but it was a fairly long drive away.

I bought all of the materials for the homebrew right here, it was by far the cheapest, and it worked great. Although I can not tell you if it is any better or worse than any of the premixed mortars because I have never used them.

Plenty of people on here are glad they used the homebrew, me included, and some really liked the heatstop. I think you will be good either way.

If I was doing it over I would probably use the homebrew again.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Re: Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

Okay, thanks a lot, David! I think I will try the homebrew mix because I am also going to cut wedges to fill the angled gaps so there will actually be very little cement fill used. I think this will help with any cracking.