web analytics
Refractory cement: pre-mix or not? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

Hi Guys,

I'm building a new WFO and wondering what people think about using the pre-made refractory cement (that runs ~$50/bag) versus using regular cement and mixing in the fireclay? Is it worth investing in the more expensive pre-made stuff?

Thanks!
    Liz )

Re: Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

It depends on how much your money is worth to you. I really wanted to use heatstop but it was way too expensive. I found another premixed refractory mortar for half the price but it was a fairly long drive away.

I bought all of the materials for the homebrew right here, it was by far the cheapest, and it worked great. Although I can not tell you if it is any better or worse than any of the premixed mortars because I have never used them.

Plenty of people on here are glad they used the homebrew, me included, and some really liked the heatstop. I think you will be good either way.

If I was doing it over I would probably use the homebrew again.

David
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

Re: Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

Okay, thanks a lot, David! I think I will try the homebrew mix because I am also going to cut wedges to fill the angled gaps so there will actually be very little cement fill used. I think this will help with any cracking.

Comment

Working...
      X