web analytics
Getting started - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Getting started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Getting started

    I'm getting ready to build a 36" oven. Now here is the question Instead of a slab could a chainwall be built (4" thick with rebar) with compacted pea gravel or crushed rock underneath and be stable? I have also considered a bed of pea gravel or crushed Rock with 4" thick pads to set the stand on.

    Reason for this is I will be moving in the future and want to take the oven with me and not leave a noticable imprint.

    I'm in Michigan just for reference

  • #2
    Re: Getting started

    Originally posted by bgreed View Post
    I'm getting ready to build a 36" oven. Now here is the question Instead of a slab could a chainwall be built (4" thick with rebar) with compacted pea gravel or crushed rock underneath and be stable? I have also considered a bed of pea gravel or crushed Rock with 4" thick pads to set the stand on.

    Reason for this is I will be moving in the future and want to take the oven with me and not leave a noticable imprint.

    I'm in Michigan just for reference
    If you are building a brick oven I really doubt you will be taking it with you.
    Others have tried and I presume failed as we never hear of their success.

    Bricks once laid dont like being transported, especially once the mortar has been fired.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

    My Build.

    Books.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Getting started

      Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
      If you are building a brick oven I really doubt you will be taking it with you.
      Others have tried and I presume failed as we never hear of their success.

      Bricks once laid dont like being transported, especially once the mortar has been fired.
      I agree, you'd be better off building, firing, cooking and learning then rebuild a better one when you move. If cash and time are constraints then start with a cob oven or a solid red brick one and make it small to save on time and materials. When my daughter sold her house which had an oven I'd built, the agent said "ooh, a pizza oven! That adds another $5000 onto the value of the place" it cost me way less than that to build it, even taking labour into account. (although I'm a pretty cheap worker)
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Getting started

        I also agree....not a good idea. I would think a reinforced/packed gravel foundation is still going to want to settle and move (possibly heave in the winter depending where you are)....

        I like DavidS's idea. Build a small oven, learn from it, then sell it with your house. It will not only increase the value of your house, it should also help to quickly sell your house. Then you can build a new oven in your new place.

        I sometimes think about selling my house...ONLY because it will allow me the opportunity to build another oven!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Getting started

          The soil here is very stable so my thought is with the gravel base all water should pretty much be able to drain away thus no heaving as it's the frozen water that causes the problem.

          Thing is I rent where I am currently so the reason for wanting to take it with me. I suppose I coult build a red brick using solid fired bricks. What about problems with spalling from the heat?

          Another question I'm thinking of using the sheet insulation under the oven can I build my oven on top of it with the floor or should I make my oven side wall higher so that the oven wall sits on the concrete hearth slab and the insulation and brick floor are inside? (Does that make sense?)

          Was thinking about using a metal stand for the oven rather than block. I have heard of some guys with mobile brick ovens but have not seen anything on how they hold up to travel.

          Just a number of thoughts running through my mind to clarify before I actually start.

          Thanks for the input.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Getting started

            Originally posted by bgreed View Post
            The soil here is very stable so my thought is with the gravel base all water should pretty much be able to drain away thus no heaving as it's the frozen water that causes the problem.

            Thing is I rent where I am currently so the reason for wanting to take it with me. I suppose I coult build a red brick using solid fired bricks. What about problems with spalling from the heat?

            Another question I'm thinking of using the sheet insulation under the oven can I build my oven on top of it with the floor or should I make my oven side wall higher so that the oven wall sits on the concrete hearth slab and the insulation and brick floor are inside? (Does that make sense?)

            Was thinking about using a metal stand for the oven rather than block. I have heard of some guys with mobile brick ovens but have not seen anything on how they hold up to travel.

            Just a number of thoughts running through my mind to clarify before I actually start.

            Thanks for the input.
            Only insulation should sit on the concrete slab, none of the oven components (floor, walls, or arches) should sit on the slab. insulation is ther for a reason.

            to go higher add another row of bricks, to go lower well you get the idea.

            a metal stand might be your best bet here. the legs could be easily detached from the oven, even if it takes a torch.

            there are many small ovens out there on wheels.

            Chip
            Chip

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Getting started

              Well I made the decision. I started laying out the foundation today. I will pour four 2'x2' x4" under each one will be 4" of compacted pea gravel. On top of these will build 16" square piers out of cement block. Then will form the slab to rest on these. It should be plenty stable without having to worry about heaving. ALso easy to break apart when when I'm ready to move.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Getting started

                So the build is started. I dug down far enough to build up a bed of 4" of compacted pea gravel under each 24"x24" pad which is has a nominal thickness of 4" concrete is a five sack mix. Next will be building up four piers using chimney blocks 16"x16"x8" with 4"x 4"x16" solid block laid flat to cap each pier. I plan on pouring a 4" slab on top of this 60"x70" reinforced with rebar five bag mix with 5/8" aggregate. question is do I need to pour an insulating layer as I am planning on using 3" of supersol insulating board under the oven floor?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Getting started

                  Never mind about the super isol board I found my answer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Getting started

                    bgreed, I live in Virginia, my oven is set for a move in the future. It sits on a gravel bed (no concrete) and my oven base is made of logs. I made my oven base with a place for forks or straps to get under the oven for the lift. I also went extra thick with good rebar for the future lift.

                    My oven and base have not moved and I have no problems with the gravel so I think you will be just fine with your plan.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Getting started

                      Well the build has started! Pads are poured and the four concrete block piers are completed (no pics of those yet) tomorrow will start framing up the supports for the hearth pour hopefully by next weekend!!
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Getting started

                        Its bad practice to have four independent pads like that holding a suspended slab, when one of the pads move the suspended slab will crack.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

                        My Build.

                        Books.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Getting started

                          You're going to be standing in mud on rainy days or after? Thats not pleasant.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Getting started

                            Brickie I understand the inherent problems of having four seperate pads however since this placement is temporary I felt it was the best way to go so it will be easy to move when the time comes.

                            As far as standing in mud goes I decised to not put down any finish until after the build is complete. So here's some more photos.

                            I also found out that building block piers and keeping everything plumb and level is more difficult than building a wall.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Getting started

                              So the weather and time have all come together yesterday I got the strucrtural hearth poured and the form put together for the vermicrete insulating hearth. I didn't form up for the landing as I am planning a thermal break. So if I am thinking correctly because of the thermal break there is no need for the thermal hearth underneath it. Am I thinking correctly on this ? Oh and here's some pics.
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X