web analytics
Perlite doubles as finishing structure? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Perlite doubles as finishing structure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perlite doubles as finishing structure?

Hi everyone! I am fairly new to the forum and recently started my own oven. I had this idea: After I construct the oven, create a plywood form around the it and filling it with perlite concrete. Then I would scratch coat the surface and apply my finishing stone directly to the perlite concrete. The masonry supply shop I got my perlite from said it would be structurally sound, but I forgot to ask if there would be issues in the thermal properties of the oven (Square form on circular oven would cause some areas of insulation to be 5-6 inches thick, others 3-4). Has anyone tried this? Anyone had any issues? The reason I'm doubling the purpose of the perlite is to save cost on a metal stud structure.

Thanks!
    -Rob

Re: Perlite doubles as finishing structure?

Perlite is extremely porous, even scratch coated.

It can be covered with "water resistant" finishes but if you are going to build an enclosure I would consider conventional steel studs and a water proof wall/roof system.

Comment

Working...
    X