web analytics
Gauge or sand mold - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Gauge or sand mold

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge or sand mold

I can't decide whether to use a gauge or a sand mold to shape my dome.
    If using a gauge I imagine that you could really only do one course of bricks at a time allowing time in between for mortar to set. A sand mold looks to me like you could pretty much do the whole dome at once.
    I'm not sure that I could get a good even shape using sand. The gauge method looks much more accurate.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Gauge or sand mold

Or you could use a "fan" form system such as I did and as Terry did:

My two cents - I used a piece of plywood (quarter circle) castored in the center. The only problem I can see using a mold is not being able to clean and properly mortar the inner seams and bricks. The homebrew sets pretty quickly, so I can't imagine a situation where you would need to slow down because of the gauge. I think you'll find keeping the inside of the dome clean as you go would be the better route.

You can't build your dome "all at once". It's pretty much one brick at a time.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

building a sand dome is easier than it sounds. I've done three and getting the form right is quite easy. You need to have damp sand and simply tap the sides with the flat of a trowel and look at the profile by eye. A stck of the required height placed in the centre is useful to get the correct height. A few polystyrene boxes in the middle saves on sand.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

You can have the best of both worlds by starting with a plywood gauge then finish with a sand mold when you get near the top. Many have done it this way successfully.

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!