web analytics
42" Dome Question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

42" Dome Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Dome Question

I have started on a 42" pompeii dome. I used 21 inches for a final dome height, but have been reading the high dome model should be around 19-20 inches. I have about 3 chains up from floor level completed. Should I change my template at this point, or is this calculation one that's not so critical?

Leigh

Re: 42" Dome Question

You're probably already done with it, but it caught my interest.
    I graphed the different options and it looks like you could change the profile without much difficulty.
    From all I've read, either of the heights 19-21" should work fine for your oven.
    What did your final dome height wind up being?

Jeff
    Jeff
    My 42-inch build

Comment

Mklingles analyzed the radiant heat distribution from domes with different heights (2-3in) and summarized the variances as insignificant. As long as your door height remains close to the ideal 63% of dome height you're fine.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I ended up reprofiling my template toward the top to end up with about 19 - 19.5 inches. I'm still at the inner arch transition with the build. The build is in the Pompeii section under Pensacola Build. Thanks again for your help.

Leigh

Comment

Actually, I profiled to a 20 inch dome height with a 12.5 inch inner arch for a ratio of around 63%.

Comment

Working...
          X