web analytics
vermiculite vs. perlite - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

vermiculite vs. perlite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vermiculite vs. perlite

What is a better insulator, vermiculite or perlite? what is easier to work with? thanks for any suggestions.
    rudi.

k values

I looked this up several months ago, the source I found indicated perlite is marginally better as an insulator. I don't think the difference is significant and probably varies with the prep (size of particles and how well "puffed" the perlite/vermiculite is). I think they are similar to handle as well. I'd choose just based on cost and ease of acquisition in your area.

Comment

I'm with Maver. Everything I have read shows very similar thermal characteristics. My local Home Depot carries both, and the cost is also similar. I have always worked with vermiculite, so I cannot comment on which is easier, though I know of many builders who have used Perlite.

I would base my decision on ease of acquisition as well.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Since perlite is white, it's easier to see if the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed before you add water. Otherwise, there's no real difference.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
        X