web analytics
Flat roof or total dome - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Flat roof or total dome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat roof or total dome

I have just read somewhere that the perfect oven has a flat roof which only curves on the edge into the wall as opposed to a semi circle type. Is this true?

Re: Flat roof or total dome

That is a very touchy subject around here as most people have pretty standard Pompei ovens with hemispherical domes and love them. That said the traditional shape of a pizza oven is a low flat dome. A cast oven like you are planning eliminates the main issues builders have with flat domes from brick...they are harder to build and need horizontal re-enforcement to make them structurally strong.

Comment

Yes I have just found on this site that the best dome height is 40.3% of the diameter which would make it somewhat flat. My brick oven was a semi circle and cooked a treat, i guess it is all too easy to get anal about all these dimensions and percentages. But I want to get it just right, thanks again

Comment

You might want to look at this post. I've recently done some calculations and think they demonstrate that the radiant energy from a flatter dome is somewhat more even on the floor but only minimally so.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/ma...tml#post107059
        My oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...and-13300.html

Comment

The world is full of flat roof pizza ovens. Stroll down to the corner, to that shop that says "pizza". Flat as a pancake.

We want something a little better.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Realistically, unitized masonry ovens are built in a dome shape because that is the best shape with which to build them. If the oven is not a compression structure, then that part of the design doesn't really matter that much, or all kitchen ovens would be round and domed, low or otherwise, I would presume.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
              Flat as a pancake.
              Pizza surely?
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
              X