web analytics
Question on stone slab identification - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Question on stone slab identification

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on stone slab identification

I need some advice please. I just got finished building my bread oven and I had thoughts of making it portable. After layers and layers of heavy material I know that I will need my big trucks for moving it around. So I was thinking of building a comparably lighter pizza oven for the transportable oven.

Now I've had this slab of stone for years it's about 1-1/4" thick jet black with no variation in color. It's quite smooth like slate but not slate. It's very hard and does not scratch easily and you can tell the stone is quite dense. I'm thinking of using it as the floor to a pizza oven (I know one piece is not recommended)

Any thoughts of what this slab is and if its usable for a floor, This slab is big and heavy so I can't just through it in the car and find a stone identifying expert.

Thanks for your thoughts

Re: Question on stone slab identification

It is probably granite. 1 1/4 inch is the standard thickness for this material. It is not recommended for ovens. Other stones have a different standard thickness. Since is it smooth I am assuming that it is a "finished" piece of stone and thefore is the 1 1/4 inch standard granite slab. The difficultiy in creating a scratch also leads me to believe that it is granite. Search the forum for flame polishing and you will get quite a bit of info on why granite is a poor choice.

The other choices I can think of are

Quartize - artifical stone- generally 3/4 in
    Marble - 1.5 to 2 in

Soapstone is usually the same 1 1/4 in thickness but it is not has common. If you can weight the stone and figure the square footage you can determine which you have

Granite = about 18 lbs per sq ft ( 1 1/4 in thick)
    Soapstone = 20 lbs per sq ft (1 1/4 inch thick)

Good luck
    Last edited by brokencookie; 10-14-2010, 06:47 PM. Reason: spell check
    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

All granite shows granularity. If there are no grains, it is probably soapstone. I still would not make a one piece floor.

As I tell people when they are considering the options of a concrete patio versus a segmental paver patio, "all of the cracks are engineered in" on the segmental pavers.

Thanks for the reply's and the great information. I have been sitting on this 4'x5' slab for about 30 years and looking for some use for it. I can get a scale to it so that will be a great start. If it's soapstone then I could always cut it into smaller blocks? Thanks Faith

I just found this thread and wanted to reply. If it is indeed soapstone, it is very easy to cut! I cut mine with an inexpensive 41/2" wet saw that was given to me (retail about $59 I think). The soapstone pieces that I bought (Craigslist) came in 3cm (1 1/2") slabs and all I did was trim the ends using a circular template. Maybe you can post a photo and we can all take a guess at what you have.