web analytics
vermiculite - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

vermiculite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vermiculite

I found a very reasonably priced source for vermiculite. It is some distance away. The company says they use it for packing material and it reads No. 4 on the package. I can't find anything on the internet indicating just how large size No. 4 is.
    Does anyone know the answer to this and is it suitable for the portland/insulation layer.

thanks,
    Dave

Re: vermiculite

This chart doesn't indicate grade either, but my guess is the Premium grade (presumably #1) would be the most expensive. The vermiculite I bought didn't have particularly large particles, nor were they super fine. Somewhere in the middle I'd guess. Have you checked HD?

Vermiculite Grades

Comment

HD has 2 cubic foot bags for $19.97. I can get 4 cu. ft. of No. 4 for $13.

Dave

Comment

4 cu ft for $13 is what I paid. Get about 10 bags if you insulate both the dome and the hearth with it. Maybe the guy can open a bag and describe the size to you, the bigger the better. I had one bag of a very fine vermiculite and it was very easy to work with but I dont think it insulates that well
        my own Quest for Fire:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/leckig/

Comment

Normally Perlite is cheaper than vermiculite. I just purchased 45 2 cu.ft bags for approx. 17 $ per bag

Comment

Originally posted by md.guthrie View Post
            I just purchased 45 2 cu.ft bags for approx. 17 $ per bag
            Let me get this straight. You paid $765 for vermiculite?
            If they were used solely for insulation purposes you would have saved money using ceramic boards and blankets instead.
            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Did both. I want to retain maximum heat...... Trying to get it right the first time...

Comment

man... nearly $800 on vermiculite. This is about half what I spent on the whole 42 inch oven.
                my own Quest for Fire:

Comment

My No. 4 vermiculite finally came in yesterday. It was $13/4cu. ft. bag. The pieces vary greatly in size with the largest about 3/4 x 1/2 in down to quite small pieces.
                  Now the question is: at what ratio do I mix it. I see blogs using 1:6 up to 1:10.
                  Is there an ideal ratio? Any tips on mixing and finishing would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Comment

for under the hearth insulation you do 1:5 - because of the weight that will sit on it. I very much recommend you buy the insulation board as well, I wish I did.

For dome insulation: the less cement the better, but less cement you put in the mix the harder it is to apply. Most people do 1:10. The way I did mine was also 1:10, one day I piled up about 6 inch layer on the dome about 12 inches high, I let it set for a day and I continued the next day all the way to the top.

When I tried to do it all in one day it was always falling down.
                    my own Quest for Fire:

Comment

Working...
                    X