web analytics
First soldiers cemented - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

First soldiers cemented

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First soldiers cemented

Well, I have finally started after along Winter in Eastern US. I need some input. The first 7 bricks are exactly in the correct spot along the scribed circle, however, they are not perfectly vertical- off 1/16" in some cases. They are not perfectly level as well...off 1/16 to 1/4". Leave them as is or rip them out?

(How critical is perfection for the first row?)

Thanks,

Patrick

Re: First soldiers cemented

This is absolutely your choice. Any pile of bricks piled up in a roughly dome shaped mound will work, it is your decision how nicely you want to finish the interior. I don't think one sixteenth of an inch will be a show stopper: Sometimes the good is the enemy of the best, but sometimes the impulse to the best is a bar to any progress at all.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks. Perfection is something to aspire to, but rarely attained. I guess the use of more/ less mortar can help make adjsutements in the direciton of perfection. Glad to hear i treally doesn't matter- except that it all stays together...

Comment

Patrick,
        just get those bricks mortared in place, around 2 days work. Keep them neat but don't worry about perfection because it is not important.
        Build and enjoy.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neillís kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
        X