web analytics
Question About My Chimney Flue - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Question About My Chimney Flue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About My Chimney Flue

I set my flue in place the other day and am debating on whether to surround it with courses of brick or to actually put a mosaic on the flue from some stone that I have left over from covering my kitchen counter tops.

This stone withstands heat very nicely. I'm always placing a pan right off the stove onto the stone with no problems or concerns. My question is, does the flue have to be separate from anything to allow it to expand?

I would really like to do this as I think the mosaic would look much better than a traditional chimney look.

Thanks.
    Journal of My Oven's Progress

Re: Question About My Chimney Flue

I insulated and stuccoed my flue. Tiles were put on the suucco. No problem.

Comment

My second oven developed a crack because I used castable refractory around the flue. The xpanding steel flue cracked the castable. I now insulate around the flue before applying the stucco.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. What did you insulate it with?
        Journal of My Oven's Progress

Comment

I used ceramic blanket wraped in wire mesh then covered with stucco.

Comment

Working...
          X