web analytics
Can I use this board for the Hearth? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Can I use this board for the Hearth?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use this board for the Hearth?

I am wondering if I can use this board from McGills Warehouse as the Insulation part for the hearth instead of the vermiculite.

McGills Warehouse Online Department Store,

Do I only need one case of the 2 foot by 3 foot boards? (One case seems to be 3 of these boards for $97).

Thanks so much for your help!

Re: Can I use this board for the Hearth?

those boards look good to me. If you only buy one case you will have a base that is 2 inches thick which is probably fine. Good luck!

Have you done a "refractory materials" search in Calgary? I did a quick one and at least a couple place popped up, one was a ANH supplier which is a large one here in the states. Might be less expensive than shipping from Calf.

Link to my Picasa Album

For less than $93 plus shipping I would think you can source vermiculite and portland locally. A 4" of 5-1 vermiculite/portland cement mix will provide the same amount of insulation as 2" of CF board.

For what its worth, I bought my CF blanket from McGills and honestly, it was the dirtiest, creepiest retail establishment I have ever dealt with, ever. If there were dead bodies hidden in the corners of their dark 'warehouse' I would not be surprised. I felt strangely fortunate to escape out of there with my life.The refractories McGills sells are admittedly not high quality, but they do work.

Those are low density fiber boards . I purchase allot of refractory from them. I have used that fiberboard in one of the kilns I build for my shop.
          it is not very strong as it is low density kind of soft and spongy