web analytics
9 X 18 X 4.5 inch fire brick - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

9 X 18 X 4.5 inch fire brick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 X 18 X 4.5 inch fire brick

I am at the beginning of my building process and have found some new 9 X 18 X 4.5 inch fire brick at a good price. My question is, is there a problem using larger fire bricks for the hearth and possibly sidewalls (both would be 4.5 inches thick)? Looking for pros/cons of larger fire brick slabs.

Thanks

Jerry

Re: 9 X 18 X 4.5 inch fire brick

A great place to start in the forums is here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html

The standard Pompei design uses 4.5 inch thick walls on the dome. The floor is either 2 or 2.5 inches thick. The thicker the oven - the longer to heat (more wood required) and (if adequately insulated) the longer it will retain heat.

Cheers

dvm
    Last edited by dvm; 07-08-2012, 10:49 PM.
    dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
    sigpic

Comment

Re: 9 X 18 X 4.5 inch fire brick

Hey Garlic Breath,

Suitable name for a WFOer, Check out DerkP, he used this size brick in his hearth floor, and I think the side walls (he did a barrel). The hardest part of using bricks this size is have a saw big enough to cut them.
      Russell
      Build Link............... Picassa Photo Album Link

Comment

Working...
      X