web analytics
Insulating firebrick - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Insulating firebrick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating firebrick

I am planning on building a oven in the future. Being the cheap scrounger that I am, I have been on the lookout for the materials that I will need. I have found a source for used light weight insulating firebrick. Would these be a good to use for the insulating layer under the hearth, instead of the vermiculite cement mix. I can get them for about 75 cents each. Has any one used these for this application?

Re: Insulating firebrick

Bob,

Insulating firebrick (IFB) are fine for underhearth applications and yes, several builders have used them. They have approximately the same R factor as vermicrete. As such, you would be better off to stand them on their sides to give 4 1/2" of insulation instead of 2 1/2". They would also work well under a layer of insulating board.

Comment

Re: Insulating firebrick

Thank you for your reply. I was not finding any info on the insulating bricks. I guess I will score some of these. I think they would be easy to work with

Comment

Working...
      X