web analytics
Need truth about home brew refractory - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Need truth about home brew refractory

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need truth about home brew refractory

I live in the "sticks". Just returned home with a load of refractory HiCast only to find that it is no mortar. There goes a 6 hour drive and lots of $4 gallons. Can anybody tell me just how dissapointed or happy I'll be if I use the FB refractory mixture ratios using lime, fireclay, portland, and sand? Help!!

Re: Need truth about home brew refractory

Two years on, and I'm quite happy with mine. I used a mix similar to the basic FB mix, with about 3.5:2:1:1 of sand, fireclay, cement and lime. Ask me in another 20, but I expect it will still be standing.

It takes a little longer to cure fully, but it works pretty well. I did some looking into this same question a couple years ago when I was building, and discussed it here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/28/r...html#post72280

I say go for it, and best of luck!

My oven build is finally complete!

I used the 3:1:1:1 homebrew for my oven. I don't have the long term result, but I was sold on the cost, workability, etc. Never used the premix, but my experience with the homebrew was all positive.

Just want to say "Thanks" for the info. I needed to be sold on a direction. It has taken me all summer to get to the dome, and I'm looking forward to doing it right. I read your thread you referred me to and am now comfortable with a homebrew. Thanks for your research!

Go with rodeair's formula!
          I used it 4 years ago on my 40"Pompeii with great results and no cracks even today. I would not use anything else!

Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          Neill’s kitchen underway

I too use the 3:1:1:1 mix and have been well pleased with it. Cant go wrong. Just mix in small batches (for me - each # was a red party cup!.) You will need to play with the water as hydration will vary according to area. Down here in AZ, I used about 1 3/4 cups water per batch.

Your mileage will vary.
            Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO