web analytics
Perlite/Vermiculite in South Florida - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Perlite/Vermiculite in South Florida

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perlite/Vermiculite in South Florida

Hi all,
    I have been building a 42" Pompeii and having a bear of a time finding Vermiculite or Perlite at a reasonable cost. I bought 2 x 4cu ft bags of perlite at a local hydroponics store for the rip off price of $50 a bag, because I had to pour my insulating hearth and couldn't find it cheaper. I am now finishing the dome (I swear I will post pics !!!), and am looking again. I found a great source:
    Winfield Supplies Edit- it is now called pro-source one. I t is a mile south of hypoluxo road on SR7 (441).
    8245 State Road 7 in Boynton Beach
    Perlite: $9.50
    Vermiculite: $17.49
    Woo Hoo!!!
    Last edited by rlodad; 05-22-2011, 12:45 PM. Reason: Change in name

Re: Perlite/Vermiculite in South Florida

Hi rlodad,

It pays to shop around.

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

True, but here in south florida, I have been shopping for 4 months for this stuff!

Try swimming pool supply/installation firms.

Vremicrete is commonly used underneath the bottom and sides of pools.

I did. They looked at me like i was from Mars...

Swimming pool construction in FL does not involve perlite/vermiculite. No vinyl liners here. It is all concrete over rebar and mesh, specifially, one of several "shotcrete" techniques where the concrete is blown under pressure over the rebar and mesh, then finish coated. Also a small % of fiberglass pools.
            Food for thought, if there are any other potential FL oven builders looking for materials.

Important point. The pool store workers are clueless about it. Thanks!