web analytics
oven option? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

oven option?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oven option?

we dont have fire brick or any clay bricks on island
    but i do have a 36" round x26 deep unglazed fired clay pot(new)
    could i add mass and insulate it to form an oven??

Re: oven option?

Good question!
    I have tried a "rocket stove" under a terra cotta pot and easily obtained 600 degrees, this was my proof of concept. I started, today, a larger version. It will be large enough to place a 13" pizza stone and test the durability of a large clay pot. My hunch is that ovens get to be much hotter and could crack a pot. However if the thing doesn't explode it may provide an inexpensive and time/labor saving alternative.
    I shall post my progress

Comment

You could easily cut a door in that pot with an angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade. Make the door height about 63% of the interior dome height.
      On rocket stoves, check this out, it's a clever piece of kit.

BioLite - BioLite Stove
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

You don't need the diamond blade. I used a $2 masonry cut/grind blade in tha angle grinder and sliced a pot with no problems.
        So... cayman, get a move on. I want to learn from your success!

Get the diamond blade. It is sooooo much faster for straight cuts
        Last edited by PsychDoc; 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM. Reason: Practice

Comment

Originally posted by caymancooker View Post
          we dont have fire brick or any clay bricks on island
          but i do have a 36" round x26 deep unglazed fired clay pot(new)
          could i add mass and insulate it to form an oven??
          What are you going to use for extra thermal mass? Is there any natural clay on the island. I think that I saw some masonry construction on Grande Caymon. At least a couple dozen banks per block if my memory serves me .

Seriously, I would love to see this concept attempted. I think that a terra-cotta pot would be, at least, a great form for some type of refractory mass should the pot fail, and it probably will eventually. A clay/portland/hydrated lime shell should add a long life to the oven.

Like David S. and Wotavidone suggest, keep the door to dome height as close to the 63% as possible. Insulate underneath the floor and around the shell as much as possible.

I would love to see pics and posts of your progress.
          I don't care what folks say behind my back........They are either braggin' or.......lyin'

My Build
          My Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
          X