web analytics
Fireclay? Refractory Mortar? In Utah? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Fireclay? Refractory Mortar? In Utah?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireclay? Refractory Mortar? In Utah?

Hi all,

Does anybody know of any local supplier of fireclay and the proper refractory mortar in or near Salt Lake City?

Thanks,
    Derk

Re: Fireclay? Refractory Mortar? In Utah?

I just got my hi-temp mortar from Harbison Walker @ 4521 W 1980 S. I'm still looking for fireclay.

Comment

I bought some fireclay from them. Which hi temp mortar did you get?

The fireclay was cheap, $15.00 or so per bag.

Derk

Comment

The mortar was model KS 4V Plus. I didn't even thing to ask them about fireclay. I'll go back and get some this week.

Comment

I am looking for Fire clay also? Are you picking up in person or having to order off line? lots of places around here have the premixed refarctory motar in 1 gallon tubs, but that is pretty expensive.
          Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Toby,

I am luck enough to have a Harbison Walker distribution center relatively near to my home.

Do a google search for Harbison-Walker or ANH. They are refractory people and they have distribution centers in quite a few places.

I bought 1 bag of refmix from Calif. It was $50 + $20 shipping to get to Utah.

I then bought 2 bags of fireclay from Harbison-Walker and some lime, silica sand and Portland cement to make homebrew mortar.

Derk

Comment

Originally posted by meco211 View Post
              I am looking for Fire clay also? Are you picking up in person or having to order off line? lots of places around here have the premixed refarctory motar in 1 gallon tubs, but that is pretty expensive.
              You don't want the premixed stuff. It won't "air-cure" and you will never get the oven hot enough to fully cure it.

Comment

Originally posted by durangout View Post
                You don't want the premixed stuff. It won't "air-cure" and you will never get the oven hot enough to fully cure it.

So you dont want to use the stuff they sell premixed? When i called they have 2 types one for inside and one for outside
                Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Derk

Well after calling a million places, no one around here sells any Fireclay, some places didn't even know what i was talking about. I looked up that Company u recommended and they sell it and will ship the fireclay to me. (Still waiting on an email with shipping costs, but the clay its self is .34 cents a lb. The salesman was trying to get me to use seirset (spelling) He said this is a tigh tempature air set premixed mortar. Was ondering if anyone else has heard of this stuff?

So thanks for the info on ANH
                  Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Well after calling a million places, no one around here sells any Fireclay, some places didn't even know what i was talking about.
                    Perhaps it could be the terminology. Try asking for mortar clay. The stuff I picked up locally is bagged and labeled as "mortar clay". This is what several local dealers carry when I asked for fireclay.
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Do a search on the forum for Seriset or some spelling variant. I somewhat remember a negative post on the stuff.

Derk

Comment

I was thinking that the stuff might not be good, when the guy started describing it like "paint"
                        Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Derk

is what you order from them Dry milled Fire clay. I talked to them on the phone and can have it shipped. the stuff is only 34 cents a pound, but they want 30 dollars to ship. but kinda stuck so, i think i will end up ordering it from them.
                          Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Originally posted by Derkp View Post
                            Do a search on the forum for Seriset or some spelling variant. I somewhat remember a negative post on the stuff.

Derk
                            I looked this stuff up on line and i do not think that it would work for WFO.
                            Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

So you dont want to use the stuff they sell premixed? When i called they have 2 types one for inside and one for outside
                              Be sure to ask them if it will air-cure. If it does, it's OK. Otherwise it's best not to use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X