web analytics
Concrete counter sealer - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

I'm Peter Reinhart! Ask Me Anything! Monday, February 15, 2016 7:00-8:00 pm EST

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

Ask Me Anything New Forum Feature

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Concrete counter sealer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete counter sealer

Does anyone have any good suggestions for sealing a concrete counter? The web is filled with conflicting opinions about penetrating, epoxy, waxes, etc.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: Concrete counter sealer

I can only speak to what I've used on my indoor worktops, and that is the Cheng water based sealer+ an occasional coat of their wax and a buff. I have no idea how it would do outdoors, but I like it fairly well for inside. Really, I think it mostly depends on what you want the look to be and what degree of finish you have on your surface to begin with. A less finely ground surface isn't going to take on or retain much shine regardless of the product you use vs. someting that's been ground down to 3000 grit that will be very shiny all on its own.
    For me, part if the attraction of concrete is that it is somewhat "living" and has a great deal of character, and the Cheng sealer is good in that regard in that it isn't plastic-y looking. BUT it doesn't make the tops impervious to everything, either so they still acquire a bit of patina from wear. Some people want their concrete tops to look pristine and super perfectly shiny, like granite, which, IMO, mostly defeats the cool factor of concrete not to mention that it takes a LOT more maintenence, and I would imagine that outdoors, it would be a nightmare.

I would get something thats made for concrete countertops if you intend to have food touch them. If you aren't using it as a food handling surface, there are lots more options, and your local ready-mix supply store is a good place to go.
    There are food-safe epoxies, but I wouldn't use that just because I think it would have a tendency to separate from the concrete and bubble or peel over time. If you go the coating-type route, make sure to get something that's UV stabilized or it will turn yellow and look yucky.

Comment

Re: Concrete counter sealer

I've tried water based, solvent based, and wax. The water based it is good as any , and is easier to work. On counters and tables I like to recoat every spring

Comment

Working...
      X