web analytics
Pavers for decorative arch? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 3 < >

Forum Page Loading Response

Forum Members:

We have received feedback regarding recent issues with page loading response time. We believe the slow response issue stems from the analytics we added with the new Forum. We are in the process of reconfiguring those elements and, after an approximate 24-hour time period for the reconfiguration to run, we anticipate a return to normal page load times. Thank you for your patience!
2 of 3 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
3 of 3 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Pavers for decorative arch?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pavers for decorative arch?

I'm having a really hard time finding any "solid" burgundy-colored bricks to use for my decorative arch. They all have holes in them. Is there any reason I can't use clay pavers instead? They seem to be regular solid bricks by another name. I can't think of any way to use the "holey" bricks without having holes showing somewhere (at least with the design I have in mind).

Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Re: Pavers for decorative arch?

The most common pavers are made from concrete. I would try and avoid it if possible - considering where you live it may be better to shop a bit more. Have you looked into turning the bricks on edge/end to hide the holes? I don't know what your plans are but many masons do this all the time.

Good luck!

Check out my pictures here:

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Daren, here in SoCal I've seen a couple of brick/stone places that have the smaller 2"-3" "cobblestone" chunks that are meant to set in concrete or sand for driveways and walkways, usually in a arched or curved pattern. They have them in burgundy color. Unless I find something better, I plan on using them, doubled up, for my outer decorative arch and keystone. They are squarish, 2"+ square so that's why I'm putting them side by side for a roughly 5" wide, decorative outer arch. I guess they are made of concrete so Les' concern might be a factor. Good luck, can't wait to see the outcome.Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Over here in South Australia, we a have a brick maker who sells heaps of 4" fired clay pavers for the construction of the entire oven dome and hearth.
        Russel Jeavons used solid clay bricks for his domes (as he had supposedly built 5 dome ovens) and uses 2 layers of 2" fired clay pavers for his restaurant commercial oven hearth.
        So long as they are foired at over 1000?C, you should not have a wory in the world.
        Littlehampton bricks fire all their clay bricks and pavers at 1200?C.

PS. Stay well away from conctete bricks or pavers.
        If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

"pavers" is the term of art in the brick industry for bricks without holes. If indeed they are fired clay bricks, which you should be able to tell at a glance, you should be good to go.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Cool, thanks everyone! I'll go with pavers then, making sure they're fired clay.
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread