web analytics
finish advice needed for dome - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

finish advice needed for dome

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finish advice needed for dome

Hi everyone!

I am looking to finish my dome with a gloss varnish/ lacquer. Something similar to the glaze on terracotta pots would be ideal, obviously after I have created some kind of pain effect.

I have built up my dome so that I have a virgin stucco/ plaster exterior that is now ready for my finish coat.

What would be the best material to use to create that glazed finish?

Re: finish advice needed for dome

Brad, You might find what you are looking for in a brush on linear polyurethane. Check with suppliers of boat stuff, don't get it confused with the floor type finish; this stuff is durable and tough and resists UV. It's about the only clear coating that I know of that actually resists the elements for any real length of time. It comes in colors as well, it's the only red paint I know of that doesn't fade to pink, and the burgundy doesn't turn to a muddy brown. Be fully aware the stuff is quite toxic during application, but after curing is quite benign. I've never seen it applied to a material like stone or cement or anything porous so you may be breaking new ground in using it on stucco etc.

Here's a link to one of the less expensive brands, and you can see they don't give it away:
    West Marine: 2-Part Linear Polyurethane Enamel Product Display

Hope this helps,

nice one Wiley,

I am not too worried about the UV resistance of the colour, as I plan to use a clear enamel over the top of the pain effect, however I wonder if the clear Linear enamel has UV filtering as this would protect the paints and that I use in my base coat.

I guess that normal Yatch Varnish is not in the same league as the Linear 2 part stuff.

I was thinking about a marine polyurethane topcoat, too. That stuff can protect and last for decades, and comes in very high gloss that would create a kind of glazed and fired ceramic effect when applied over paint. What a neat idea! Post pictures of the final product, however you end up doing it.

Acrylic stucco.

Can't help, but it sounds fascinating! Very cool idea...
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

I wonder about fiberglas resin??
              Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane