web analytics
Can I seal the Exterior of my oven? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Can I seal the Exterior of my oven?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I seal the Exterior of my oven?

Hi guys,

I've built an oven myself from scatch using a relatively cheap method, which in short has a clay shell, with other layers of insulation over the top. I avoided the brick ovens because i didnt think i would be able to do the block work,

anyway...

my question is based on the finish coat of my oven which is a thin brushed on layer of sieved sand, cement and clay, with a little oxide for colour. I have since found out that this layer is not weather proof. when it rains, it seems to slowly wash off this thin layer.

can i use a comercial type sealer to possibly fix this problem? can you think of any problems that this may cause on my oven. ie chemicals near food??? is this a a big no no.

I hope you can help me

kind regards to all

Re: Can I seal the Exterior of my oven?

I suggest that you just cover it with an acrylic stucco - thats the route I went. The stuff is bullet proof.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I'm using an acrylic stucco called, "Multitex". Like Les says, it's bulletproof!
      It can be tinted to a suitable colour or it can be painted over with something like Dulux Tuscan or Solaguard Stone Finish.
      I'm also in Oz, so I know you'll be able to get the products.
      Last edited by Balthazar; 10-20-2008, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Try what they call flexible pointing. It is a flexible acrylic that will withstand the expansion created from the heat. It is hard to apply but I found it easier to thin it down with water and apply it like a thick paint, about three coats to give you about 3-4 mm total thickness. The stuff is designed for sealing terracotta or concrete ridge caps and is a standard roof tilers item. Wait until your oven is toally dry (say 5 cooking firings after your curing fires) You don't want to lock in the moisture.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X