web analytics
Repair question, need help - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Repair question, need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Repair question, need help

    I have a two year old WFO than I did stone on the outside of the dome which I now know not to do. The heat caused it to crack and water keeps my vermiculite soaked now, so I have to figure out which way to go to fix. One kink in the deal is that the base of my oven has a rounded back so it make building something square on top of it a little tricky. I was thinking about going one of two ways, either doing a stucco cover on what I have there now or pouring a square concrete ledge around the top and building off of that (after some serious reinforcing of course). Would appreciate any input. I would hate to build a freestanding structure to cover it just because of aesthetics, but????? If I do stucco is there a link on here on what will work? Picture of it below.

  • #2
    Re: Repair question, need help

    If it were me, I would think about putting some sort of roof extending off your pergola....I think you could make it look real nice and intentional. Stucco on outside of oven would be a travesty considering the nice stone work you did....

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Repair question, need help

      Sorry I was unable to view the picture you attached. The pictures on the other threads open up ok so I am not sure what is going on here. Anyway I would really like to see your oven, I read somewhere that it has a real good look.

      BTW I am also a motorcyclist and I'm also amused by the alternative meaning for "WFO" - as in "When this snow clears I am going to go WFO to finish my WFO so I can go WFO on my bike!"

      Regards,
      AT

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Repair question, need help

        Looks like we enjoy less than mainstream motorcycles, too. I have Gasgas now, almost bought an ATK back in the day, even talked to Horst about it. I was doing some magazine work then and was going to do a write up, but it all fell through.
        Anyways, you can try my Flickr site, thats where the pic was linked from, Flickr: bkdjr2000's Photostream . Few moto pics on there, too, excuse family stuff.
        Do more mtn biking these days than moto, but it seems to go in cycles.
        Last edited by kendunn; 02-21-2014, 01:03 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Repair question, need help

          I agree that it would be a pity to cover that nice stonework. If it were mine I would use an elastic acrylic product to fill any cracks in the mortar to prevent water intrusion. You will never completely waterproof your oven, short of covering it with a roof. After heavy extended rain periods your oven will get wet through the entry even though you may have the dome totally sealed. A couple of long gentle fires restores the oven to normal operation. We live in the tropics and our infrequent rain usually get measured by how many times the rain gauge overflows. Our oven is out in the weather.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Repair question, need help

            Hi David,

            We live in the tropics and our infrequent rain usually get measured by how many times the rain gauge overflows.
            I heard yesterday that you got around 120 - 160mm of rainfall in the 24 hours just west of Townsville.
            A very welcome for the drought affected graziers but a bit rich for the city dwellers.
            Anyway, I hope you are app OK.

            Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

            The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know


            Neillís Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neillís kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Repair question, need help

              Thanks Neill,
              Yes we also got another 100 mm the following day.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Repair question, need help

                I'm with jeeppiper - seal the cracks and extend the roof on your pergola over the top of your oven -maybe use some steel roofing to keep the direct rainfall off of it. Hate to see you cover that nice stone work on your dome with stucco (which is just as likely to crack anyway).

                Nice pictures on Flickr btw. I've thought about getting a Gas Gas to upgrade my trials mount (I've got a '86 TY 250 that I ride now). The ATK has been a great bike - I don't do so much motocross but I love it in the woods - short wheelbase, light weight and lots of torque. Mine is the 6 speed Cross Country version so put it in 3rd or 4th and it's almost like riding an automatic. Very cool that you actually got to talk to the designer. Mine is a '92 which is one of the last years that they actually made real ATK's (with the idler sprocket and countershaft mounted brake).

                Good luck on your project and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

                Regards,
                AT
                Last edited by ATK406; 02-23-2014, 09:27 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Repair question, need help

                  Originally posted by kendunn View Post
                  Looks like we enjoy less than mainstream motorcycles, too. I have Gasgas now, almost bought an ATK back in the day, even talked to Horst about it.
                  Is that Horst Leitner? I worked for him one summer when I was in grad school. Down in Laguna Beach @ AMP Research. Fun times! I still have the AMP B4 he gave me

                  To the OP's question - I don't see how the thing ever gets dry if you seal up the top. Seems to me that you're likely to need to remove the stone so that the insulation can dry and then cover it with something water tight. I like the first suggestion of extending a cover off of your pergola that would keep most of the rain off of your oven. Just extend the chimney through it
                  Last edited by deejayoh; 02-25-2014, 10:02 AM.
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Repair question, need help

                    Vermicrete is a good insulater. But, I think that is unless it is fully dried before ramping up the temps, it will help to have an expansion joint between the oven brick and the insulation. Ceramic Fiber blanket worked great in my case. In your situation, to keep from removing those great looking stone, I would fire it as much as possible to remove all moisture. Then I would place a vent at the top to relieve any further mosture that will be trapped in the oven. Then, I would patch and seal. But also, do as Dennis recomends. Put a roof over it
                    I don't care what folks say behind my back........They are either braggin' or.......lyin'


                    My Build
                    My Picasa Web Album

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Repair question, need help

                      Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                      Vermicrete is a good insulater. But, I think that is unless it is fully dried before ramping up the temps, it will help to have an expansion joint between the oven brick and the insulation. Ceramic Fiber blanket worked great in my case. In your situation, to keep from removing those great looking stone, I would fire it as much as possible to remove all moisture. Then I would place a vent at the top to relieve any further mosture that will be trapped in the oven. Then, I would patch and seal. But also, do as Dennis recomends. Put a roof over it
                      z
                      G'day
                      More than agree with the vent , it a good to have but its only usefull when the ovens damp and unusable. Prevent the water from getting is really what you want. If you don't want to cover it preventing the water from getting in is your aim. The cracks are from water trying to escape. A water tight cover on the front of the oven and a water tight chimney cover is your best insurance. Keep the water off that entrance brick. Take a cup of water pour it on the entrance hearth it will not be there long , its straight down those cracks and straight into those bricks. Then its into your insulation and from there its a long slow process to remove.
                      I like my oven in the open and have tried everything. Keep the hearth dry is the most successfully. I only did my final finish after being able to keep it dry
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

                      My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Repair question, need help

                        Originally Posted by Deejayoh - Is that Horst Leitner? I worked for him one summer when I was in grad school. Down in Laguna Beach @ AMP Research. Fun times! I still have the AMP B4 he gave me
                        Yes that's him. Quite an innovator. Well you would know better than I...I only purchased one of his creations. I always get alot of attention out on the trail..."What is that?"..."Was it made in the US, do they still make them?" etc...You should hold onto that bike, it might be a collectors item some day. LOL Thats what I tell myself about my ATK but used ATK's are usually pretty cheap...or unsold.

                        But enough about Horst! What is Ken going to do with his oven?....take more pictures I hope!

                        Regards,
                        AT
                        Last edited by ATK406; 02-26-2014, 10:56 AM. Reason: Added Quote

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Repair question, need help

                          Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                          z
                          G'day
                          More than agree with the vent , it a good to have but its only usefull when the ovens damp and unusable. Prevent the water from getting is really what you want. If you don't want to cover it preventing the water from getting in is your aim. The cracks are from water trying to escape. A water tight cover on the front of the oven and a water tight chimney cover is your best insurance. Keep the water off that entrance brick. Take a cup of water pour it on the entrance hearth it will not be there long , its straight down those cracks and straight into those bricks. Then its into your insulation and from there its a long slow process to remove.
                          I like my oven in the open and have tried everything. Keep the hearth dry is the most successfully. I only did my final finish after being able to keep it dry
                          Regards dave
                          I agree with that. But, without being totaly protected from inclement weather, humidity, and long periods of unplanned unuse, the vent is a great "fail safe" .
                          I don't care what folks say behind my back........They are either braggin' or.......lyin'


                          My Build
                          My Picasa Web Album

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X