web analytics
Chimney Draft Issue - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

I'm Peter Reinhart! Ask Me Anything! Monday, February 15, 2016 7:00-8:00 pm EST

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

Ask Me Anything New Forum Feature

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Chimney Draft Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney Draft Issue

Just installed a 47" Modular oven in a trailer. The Door opening is 22"x 13" to the top of the arch. If I do the math its 286 square inch opening minus whatever the arch takes up. I used a 36" tall 6" insulated chimney. From what I gather the chimney should be about 10-15% of the opening 6" chimney is 28.27 square inches.

With all that said I am having issues with the Draft. I have a good deal of smoke coming out of the front. Mind you I am burning a small fire at the moment, still curing right now. I also do not have a rain cap on so I'm not sure if the wind is causing issues. Any ideas if when the oven runs hotter the heat will help increase the draft or if I should add another foot of chimney on??

Re: Chimney Draft Issue

1. New, wet ovens are notoriously smokey
    2. A 6" pipe is way too small IMO for a 47" oven.The 10% rule might be OK for draw once the oven is pretty hot, but it is inadequate at start up, when you are trying to pull the flame sideways. Should use 15% of oven opening as a min IMO.
    3. You could increase the draft by adding more height, but as your oven is mobile you'll need to make it removable.

Suggest you keep firing to see if it's still a problem after about 10 pizza temp fires.
    Also try only minimal addition of fuel at start up.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Light a small fire directly under the flue to warm it up first.

Comment

Need to get the flu hot to create the vacuum. Also our oven when we were seasoning it was (wet) smoky. But its definately drawing great now. Our flu though is substantially wider.

When starting a fire in a seasoned oven do the majority of you create a "rager" in there. I notice that with the fires we are building we don't burn off all the soot in the dome. We definately burn it off in the center where we start the fire and to whatever side we push the coals to, but there is portion of the oven that still has black soot on the ceiling. Is this good/normal?

Comment

Working...
        X