web analytics
Engineering Bricks for the Arch? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Engineering Bricks for the Arch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineering Bricks for the Arch?

OK next question...

On the Ephrem 2061 which I shall be using, the top of the arch forms the front of the vent. The chimney will sit on that, with some kind of thermal gasket. Therefore, I am undecided as to whether to use dense firebricks or engineering bricks for the arch. Either way I am planning to incorporate a 10mm thermal break between the arch and oven body, packed out with stove rope. The front wall of the enclosure will be built around the arch, and therefore I don't want it to get too hot, since it will be tiled. I would prefer the appearance of smooth engineering bricks for the arch, with matching bullnose bricks for the landing. The thing is, will they take the heat?
    I've thought about a short firebrick arch, with a full-depth engineering brick arch in front of that, each with its own thermal break, but this is where the design gets out of hand. Any clues?

Re: Engineering Bricks for the Arch?

I think your thinking to hard. I have no thermal break. Firebrick dome connected to firebrick flue chamber. My chamber is 1 full firebrick (~9") from inner arch to outer arch. The outer arch is ~4" think stone.

At full burn you can touch the outer arch and it's hardly hot. I think the hottest I measured the outside of the chimney vent firebrick was about 95deg F.

So unless I'm missing something there's an inner arch fire brick - some distance to allow the flue then an outer arch. I don't see why the outer arch can't be engineering brick. Especially if you have afire break.
    My oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...and-13300.html

Comment

Your entry gets hot. That said, any sort of brick should work. We've seen common brick entries in front of firebrick domes. Engineering brick is a UK term: I think it means a higher fired (harder and denser) red clay brick. Should work fine. The only material to worry about in this application is portland based concrete.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I think it is the expansion of the inner oven creating pressure on the arch which is the greater problem, rather than the materials ability to withstand the heat. I still feel that a thermal gap filled with 6:1 vermicrete is a good solution.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I thought of that plus, I didn't trust my firebrick arch so I supported the chimney with Steel Lintels. The clay flue sits on the brick. The mistake I made was mortaring in the flue which I think caused it to crack (sounded like a fire cracker when it went).

I also left a gap between the decorative arch and the inner firebrick.

Dave
          Attached Files
          Last edited by DaveW; 03-10-2011, 04:06 PM.
          Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Working...
          X