web analytics
Oven door - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Oven door

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven door

I need to begin my oven door (unhinged for a dome arch) I am planning to use wood on the exterior but what material is suitable for the sandwiched layers. I am guessing something that reflects heat rather than absorbs. I attached two photos.
    Attached Files

Re: Oven door

I used the type of insulation that is used for lining electric ovens. A trip to your local dump will score all you need.

Note that wood burns. I used aluminum to keep the weight down.
    Last edited by Neil2; 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I really like that chimney flue.. what exactly is it?
      My oven (for now):
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

I salvaged it from old chimnea the we bought about 10 years ago. cast iron and not a spec of rust. The rest of the chimnea was little more than hardscape. It had a build in spark arrestor too, and it was bought and paid for.

Comment

I made mine out of aluminum, filled with loose vermiculite, and about a bucket full of pop-rivets.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les Mine is similar to yours but I used a bit of concrete in with my vermiculite and I used sheet steel and a bunch of rivets. Then I riveted stove rope around the edge to help with the seal. My door is heavy but I fired and baked on Sunday and on Tuesday evening the oven was still too hot to lay your hand on the floor. The outside temps have been around -20 then add a windchill. So I think my door is keeping up with the rest of the oven.

Comment

Sheet aluminum, insulating blanket remnants, bunch of rivets, and a single handle from an old trowel. The whole door weighs less than 5 pounds.
              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Working...
              X