web analytics
Vent roof?!?! - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Vent roof?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent roof?!?!

Hi All,

I'm wondering if the vent roof where it joins the flue needs to be constructed of fire brick/insulating concrete or can I use a section of sheet steel bent into the shape of the arch and attached to the brick arch with fire cement?

I think it will be OK or will there be issues with the steel expanding from the heat and then cracking the fire cement?

Thanks

Rob

Re: Vent roof?!?!

You can in fact make your entire entry/vent out of metal. They do expand at different rates, so you may want to make your masonry/metal joint somewhat flexible. Most people use some kind of masonry anchor and bolt as the interface, instead of a rigid mortar.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: Vent roof?!?!

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      You can in fact make your entire entry/vent out of metal. They do expand at different rates, so you may want to make your masonry/metal joint somewhat flexible. Most people use some kind of masonry anchor and bolt as the interface, instead of a rigid mortar.

Great, that's just what I wanted to hear!

Comment

Working...
      X