web analytics
Stucco mix question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Stucco mix question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stucco mix question

I picked up masonry cement to be used for my stucco mix at Home Depot b/c I saw a sign that read "use masonry cement for stucco" there. After getting home, everything that I have read says to use a mix of portland cement, hydrated lime and sand--the mix varies based on the different layers, but portland cement is always a constant.

The two things that I like about the masonry cement is that 1) I have it and 2) it is lighter in color so will likely take the added cement color better. I have NO experience with stucco, so will using masonry cement give me as much strength and durability as portland cement?

Thanks for all suggestions!!

Claire

Re: Stucco mix question

Masonry cement is either a blend of portland/lime or a blend of portland and other ingredients that work like lime. It is fine to use to make stucco.

Comment

Thanks--do you think I should then lessen the amount of lime used or just omit that from the mix completely?

Comment

Originally posted by czaunb2 View Post
        Thanks--do you think I should then lessen the amount of lime used or just omit that from the mix completely?
        If you are talking about the type S mortar they sell at H.D. I think it is good right out of the bag. Lime is nasty stuff, avoid it if possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If I can jump on the stucco bandwagon, I have a question also...

I have about a 3/8 inch layer of stucco on our oven and walls (block). The mix is:

1 part white portland
        1/4 part lime
        4 parts masonry sand
        Buff color from Lowes

I went ahead and colored the brown coat thinking that if in the future I had some peeling there would be color behind the finish coat.

It turns out that it was very time consuming to apply the stucco.
        Can I just leave it the way it is with one coat?????

thanks,
        Dave
        Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Working...
        X