web analytics
Profitability of Mobile WFO - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
2 of 2 < >

Burner Tech Support

Forno Bravo has implemented an on line resource for our Commercial Customers to easily access technical information on their ovens.

Included in this section are the following items:

Type 1 Hood Design

FAQ for Burner Support

Wiring Diagram for your control box

Manuals for many of the component parts

Factory Settings for the Omega Control module

Recommended Spare Parts list

Just follow the link below and you can get their. Of course, you can always call in for support during our normal business hours or create a ticket through our on line support email.

Thanks for participating in our Forum
See more
See less

Profitability of Mobile WFO

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profitability of Mobile WFO

I know that profitability varies by location, operation size, business model, marketing strategy, ingredients used, and a host of smaller factors.

I'm still interested in hearing the views of people who run their own Mobile WFO operations:

-How many people do you employ?
    -What are your fixed costs?
    -What are your variable costs?
    -How many pizzas do sell per year? Do you favor top quality ingredients over mid-range ones?
    -How much time per week do you devote to the business?
    -Given your answers to the above, do you turn a solid profit?

I will appreciate all open responses, and any advice on mobile wood-fired profitability.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by smokin' elk; 01-27-2012, 09:48 AM.

Re: Profitability of Mobile WFO

I'll chime in...

We are 2.5 yrs old, started our company right when the "Great American Food Truck Race" was the coolest TV show, and now have 2 mobile wood fired trailers, and one food truck.

Basically, this ain't no get rich quick scheme.

Unless you are living in some megalopolis, I think finding a market for $1000+ per event in sales is difficult. If you could do that, it would be easy.

Food industry standards are something like:

Cogs: 25%
    Labor: 25%
    Expenses: 40%
    Profit: 10%

We employ 3 people w/ no other jobs, and 4-7 part-time/seasonally, will probably be about 13-15 total at peak season 2013. That said, we are all young, flexible and happy with being our own boss. My two brothers started this company with me, and we our built three mobile rigs. We have probably saved at least $50K in labor costs for these build outs. The sweat equity of our team of the bro's has been invaluable. In my opinion, there is too much work in this business model to go it solo. Licensing, bookkeeping, booking and catering, marketing, and maintenance are all things that take lots of time outside of prep and selling pizza. I believe the axiom thus far, that only 1 in 3 businesses make it. Most of the trucks have lasted about 18mos here in Denver.

For the first 18 mo's, I spent 50-70 hrs per week at it. We are attempting to build a scalable brand, with that a long-term plan, and for me a sustainable lifestyle, so I have scaled back to 40-50 during peak season, and a little less now that it is winter. Still can't keep girlfriends, and don't have a dog.

We decided as owners that our work is more valuable, generally speaking, to grow the business than it is to personally sell the pizza, so we have built a great crew and spent our time developing new units and plans. We plan to deploy a new cart on our downtown pedestrian mall in the spring, and have our sights set on some brick and mortar (hollar if you'd like to be a licensee!).

We sell mid-range pizza at a good price. All organic flour, tomato and herbs, local processed sausage and chicken. Restaurant depot cheese and pepperoni. No one wants organic pepperoni anyways... Catering is a big part of our business. We did about 300 selling events, and 50-60 catering events, revenue of $215K.

Do we turn a "solid profit?" On our P&L? No. We have basically broken even. But, this has been my job for 2.5 years, we have fully employed to awesome people for over a year, my brother went part-time at his nursing job and lost ten pounds the next week. And it's Wednesday morning, 12/12/12 and we are both doing exactly what we want to be doing.

So I would say we are turning a solid 'profit'.

Basic Kneads Pizza(.com)

Re: Profitability of Mobile WFO

Thanks for the reply. I encourage others to provide insight as well. This could be an informative and mutually beneficial discussion.