web analytics
Curing oven - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Curing oven

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing oven

Just finished the oven dome yesterday. Is it ok to put a light in it to warm it up, or should I wait a week or two?
    I am thinking of doing the whole curing without insulation, is this ok?
    My plan is to buy the insulation when we go to the expo in Feb. to save on the shipping.

Thanks everyone for your help, I would not have gotten this far without you.

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Re: Curing oven

Let it cure for a week. Keep it damp: concrete curing is called "hydration" for a reason. Premature drying will weaken the chemical bonds of the mortar. After a week you can proceed to dry it out.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Thanks David for your reply. The drying out. Should that be done with a heat lamp or lighting small fires?

There are basically two types of mortar/concrete.

Portland Cement Based: This will not take heat levels above 550 F or so. This material needs water to cure. It would be kept well damp for a minimum of 7 days perferably 21 days.

Refractary Mortar; This does not need water to cure. It is cured by firing.

So Neil, will keeping a tarp over the oven be enough? I built it with the home brew.

"So Neil, will keeping a tarp over the oven be enough?"

Give it lots of water for 7 days. Lift the tarp and soak it down periodically. The "home" brew has both Portland and lime , The Portland part will cure with water for 7 days. The lime part will kick in when you fire cure it. The lime based bonds will give it the long term strength - the portland cement bonds will start to weaken as the oven temperatures go up to 600 F and back. The only reason the portland is added is for the initial workability and shaping.

You want to avoid the term "drying out". One cures with water, the other cures with deliberate and escalating heat. A slow drying out, as such, is to be avoided.
            Last edited by Neil2; 01-30-2010, 02:06 PM.

sorry for hi jacking this thread.... but could u guys perhaps direct me to a thread pertaining to some scientific standards for heat and materials used in the dome.?

or what i should look for, in terms of the composition. I see u mention lime here, would that affect the curing process in any way??
              or are there standard ways for curing?

I ask this because here in South africa we dont have "your" standard mortars.
              I think by knowing what is in the cement would help me in finding proper quality refractory products..

thank you so much..